Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"wasting words on lower cases and capitals"

I woke up in the middle of the night last night because everything sounded weird. Turns out, it was raining heavily, but it didn't sound like rain for some reason. I don't know if it's what the building is made out of or the roof or what, but it doesn't sound like how rain normally sounds in the middle of the night. This morning, shortly after I woke up, it started snowing. The biggest snowflakes I have ever seen! (not that that is saying much at all). So I had to walk to school with the giant snowflakes sticking all over me like bird poop but not nearly as gross.
Have I mentioned the dead dog between my school and home? I don't think I have. There is a little dead dog on the "sidewalk" (there aren't any sidewalks). It took me a while to establish that it was actually a dog because of it's size and it was weirdly dried out. And it had no legs. And it's mouth was open in a weird grimace. I don't know why I'm oddly fascinated by roadkill. And now I have an excellent specimen to check out twice a day. Anyway, today was the most depressing it has looked because of the snow and rain. It didn't look so dried out anymore and it was laying there pathetically with snow on it. I don't know why I'm describing a dead thing.
Today has been a kind of crappy day. It must be the weather. And there has been a bit of drama with my school director. She seems to not want me to go to Armenia over break for no apparent reason. And my co-teachers are saying I need to go anyway (as if I wouldn't!). And then today one of my co-teachers was telling me the director thinks I can speak Georgian! Which also means she must think I'm lying when I say I can't! Ridiculous! My other co-teacher had to leave school early today because she was really sick, so I ended up doing  our 10th grade lesson alone. I guess it went OK. I just had the read a passage in their textbook and answer a couple questions about it. Then we just sat around and talked for most of the time. They said it was a good lesson and told me that it helps the a lot more to talk like we did than it does for the to do work from the textbook only. Which I agree completely. I also feel like the fact that I can't speak Georgian probably motivates them more to try with their English instead of resorting to Georgian only.
After school I felt like I was on the verge of yelling at my host sister. Sometimes she just won't leave me alone and it drives be completely insane. There is no good way of explaining to her that I just need silence for a while or that I'm busy doing something because she doesn't speak English well enough. So she just says "why" over and over and I say "because!" and it's awful. I felt like I was getting very short with her and I felt a little bad, but then again, how else am I supposed to express anything when language fails?

1 comment: