Sunday, March 13, 2011

Emotional chronology of the unbathed

In my house, we have the unfortunate problem that somehow the water in the bathroom is connected to electricity. This is unfortunate because we don't seem to have regular electricity. And by "not having regular electricity" I mean that since I have been here, the power seems to have been going out every other day until approximately 6pm. Except for the last three days, when I woke up without power and it did not come on until 7pm. And on a weekend! Yuck! So... not only am I incredibly bored and likely sitting in the living room being badgered by a four year old and a ten year old who also have nothing to do, I can't even flush the toilet or brush my teeth! Although I have been brushing my teeth, in my bedroom with a pitcher of water and spitting into a cup. Awesome. I also pee without flushing. But at least I don't have an outhouse, right? The real problem here, is that I haven't been able to take a shower. You are thinking "but the power comes on in the evening, right!?" Right, but that doesn't mean fate wants me to be clean. Everyone else wants showers too, and the hot water lasts about 10 minutes before starting to get cold. Also, everyone has laundry that needs to be done. See the problem?
So, this is a bit reminiscent of a post my friend Bruna (also living in Georgia) put on her blog the other day (http://brunafications.blogspot.com), but it's relevant to many of us living here...
Daily thoughts on showering.
Monday Shower-- Excellent, but I did not shave my legs, oh well! I will next time.
Tuesday-- No shower. That's okay though, my  hair is still clean and I look great!
Wednesday-- No shower. My hair is looking a little weird, oh well, I'll just put it up. Good to go! I'm looking pretty good today!
Thursday-- I want to take a shower, oh well I guess I will wait until the morning, no biggie my hair is still lookin' alright in this pony-tail.
Friday-- Power is out! Damn it!!! My hair is looking like a freakin' grease ball! And I may or may not smell really odd. Thank God for baby wipes!
Saturday-- OH MY GOD IT'S BEEN FIVE DAYS I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M GOING OUT IN PUBLIC, MY HAIR ISN'T EVEN THE RIGHT COLOR ANYMORE. At least it's really amusing when I tell people how long it's been. We can have a good laugh.
Sunday- Day 6. This isn't even funny anymore. This is almost a week. If I don't take a shower tonight I'm going to kill someone or myself. I can't even function. All I think about is how gross my hair feels on my head. I want to shave it off. Please power, turn back on, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.
AND THEN I HAD THE LONG AWAITED SHOWER! Just now. About 20 minutes ago. And it was amazing. I washed my hair THREE times. Needless to say, I didn't shave my legs. Oh well, I couldn't care less about the status of my leg hair at the moment. It's too cold to wear pants anyway. But I feel great!!!!! I can now take over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's my brain.
Other thoughts lately include: I haven't really been completely naked except for when I shower, because my curtains are pretty see-through and I'm paranoid that my students will walk by and somehow see me naked (notice a recurring theme about being afraid of my students?). Also, it's cold. And, I never really know if Tiko is going to walk in without knocking. So anyway, I know I've been gaining weight but luckily never have to see myself naked. Except yesterday I was changing my shirt and I was trying to decide if I just had a food-baby from eating too much for dinner, or if that is just how my stomach looks now. Today, after my shower, I think I have established that this is just how my stomach looks now. I'm kind of traumatized about it because I have never ever had to worry about getting fat, until now. I mean, it makes sense that I'm gaining weight when I think about the giant meals I eat here and the fact that they consist mostly of bread and cheese, and everything else drenched in grease or chunks of butter. And then there is the candy..... and the fact that I have a stash of Nutella in my bedroom to eat late at night and between meals. The funny thing is though, I know I'm not going to stop eating! I have terrible self control! At dinner tonight I ate until I was dying of stuffed-ness, and then I ate a pastry! And now... I'm in my bed eating a nut/grape juice on a string thing. I need to do something.... I think I'm going to start doing sit ups. But I've been saying that for a few days now and haven't even attempted to do any. I can't wait until I get back to the US and get back to my normal eating habits (not to mention being a vegetarian again!), and hopefully stop having to think about it.

1 comment:

  1. hahahha gina i love it lol
    thanks for the mention too :P

    ReplyDelete