Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Never gets old

No way, no how!

Tutoring:
Tutoring man #2 for the first time went alright. Moderately awkward but nothing too unbearable. Next time (Friday) we are going to have a lesson about music where we talk about song lyrics from songs we like. Hence me going on a while Hanson video watching tangent. Tutoring man #1 is still fine, I've been there three times this week already and going again on Friday. We were going to be meeting 8 times a month, but we are halfway to that point in like one week, so maybe we will meet more. He said he would pay me every 8 lessons. Hooray! It's so weird reading a guy's unfinished screenplay. Especially since he's actually planning to film it next year. So does this mean if it sucks it's partially my fault? I'm not an editor, just trying to fix major issues. Thank God I have a decent knowledge of grammar rules, otherwise it would be difficult. Have you ever, on the spot, had to explain someone when to use "intense" vs. "intensive?" That's one I had to think about and get back to him on. Also, I got to explain comma vs. semicolon, "then" vs. "than," the difference between "massage" and "message," and "score" vs. "scholar" (random, right?).  Also, our lessons always end up being over and hour long but it's not weird at all. He probably thinks I'm weird though. But then again, he was the one who was hungover the other day asking "what do you drink in America when you have a hangover?" and then he offered me whiskey (I declined) and he drank a glass of vodka.

Today I was finally given copies of textbooks for school. I got copies of every book EXCEPT book #1. Including book #5 and #6 which NONE of my classes use. But guess what? 12 of the 20 hours I teach each week use only book #1. Typical.

I'm averaging about 5lari a week on bus/metro tickets. Adds up quick. I guess it doesn't help that I am now going to school, back from school, to Freedom Square/Rustaveli and back home from Freedom Square/Rustaveli almost every day now thanks to tutoring as well as wanting to do fun things (that usually ends up meaning going downtown). But whatevs, could be worse! And bus #61 is the shit. Takes us right up to our apartment practically, but doesn't come as often as some of the other ones like #87, 88 or 140. And 88 has the worst breaks that are super loud and screechy. Bus 87 is smaller. Yeah. I'm on my blog listing out facts about the bus. Lame.

I'm not sick yet, but I feel like I might be on the verge. I had a sore throat the last two nights, nothing too bad, but enough to make me paranoid. Mostly because Lydia's had a cold for about a week now and Nick got strep throat. I REALLY don't want strep. I've heard nothing but terrible things about it for years and have been lucky enough not to have gotten it yet. Considering we are all sharing food/drinks/whatever-else all the time it seems like I might be doomed. Maybe not. I'll hope for the best.

Oh and best news! We have this Friday off! Three day weekends are the best! Even if I have to tutor on my "day off;" it doesn't count!

No comments:

Post a Comment